Canadian broadcaster cuts Charles Dutoit's name from radio

FILE - In this Oct. 19, 2011 file photo, chief conductor Charles Dutoit rehearses with the Philadelphia Orchestra in Philadelphia. Six more women have stepped forward to accuse the prominent conductor of sexually assaulting them in the United States, France and Canada, including a musician who says the maestro raped her in 1988. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

Canada's national broadcaster cuts conductor Charles Dutoit's name from radio shows following sexual assault accusations

SAN FRANCISCO — Conductor Charles Dutoit's name has become so toxic following accusations of sexual assault that Canada's national broadcaster has stopped saying his name on air when radio stations play his music.

"At this point, we are no longer crediting Mr. Dutoit as conductor," said Emma Bedard, spokeswoman for Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

Dutoit served as music director for the Montreal Symphony Orchestra from 1977-2002. He made scores of recordings with the orchestra that make up an important part of the national broadcaster's Canadian repertoire on classical music station CBC Radio Two. But the new policy applies to all CBC stations.

"CBC Radio Two is where these recordings are most often played, but our approach would be the same regardless of channel," Bedard said in emailed statements. Her comments were first reported by the Montreal Gazette.

The policy took effect after The Associated Press reported on Dec. 21 that four women, including three opera singers and an orchestra musician, accused Dutoit of sexual assault. The world-renowned conductor denied the accusations, but eight major orchestras promptly cut ties with Dutoit or distanced themselves from him.

"We began changing how we refer to these recordings at the end of December, and will continue for the time being to simply credit the Montreal Symphony Orchestra," she said.

On Thursday, the AP published a story with six new accusations of assault against Dutoit, including one musician who accused him of rape. Dutoit denied the latest accusations, saying in a statement he was "appalled and sickened" by the rape allegation which he called a "bewildering and baseless charge."

Related News

Daughter of Motown stars to Detroit students: Find your beat

Aug 11, 2016

The daughter of Motown Records founder Berry Gordy and one of its biggest stars, Diana Ross, says young Detroiters should learn about their city's rich artistic legacy _ then forge their own path

Stephen Colbert, Showtime in talks for live election special

Aug 11, 2016

Showtime is in talks with Stephen Colbert to host a live election-night comedy special, the channel's chief executive says

Taran Killam and Jay Pharoah each land a Showtime series

Aug 11, 2016

Taran Killam and Jay Pharoah will each star in their own half-hour comedy series for Showtime

You may also like these

Turkey issues arrest warrant for ex-soccer star

Aug 12, 2016

Turkey's state-run news agency says authorities have issued a warrant for the arrest of former soccer star and legislator Hakan Sukur over his links to a U.S.-based Muslim cleric, accused by Turkey of masterminding last month's failed coup

Nephew in 'Making a Murderer' has conviction thrown out

Aug 13, 2016

A judge has overturned the conviction of a Wisconsin man found guilty of helping his uncle kill a woman in a case profiled in the Netflix series "Making a Murderer," ruling that investigators coerced a confession using deceptive tactics

Rio Olympics lacking 'look' that usually characterizes games

Aug 14, 2016

Looking for an Olympic venue? The IOC has acknowledged that the Rio Olympics are missing part of the so-called "look" that characterizes the games.

Our trendy reporters are fashionistas who love gossips as much as you do. We don’t just report the news, but we report it uniquely so you can read with style, only in Trendy Reporter.

Contact us: sales@trendyreporter.com

Entertainment Award Shows Celebrity Fashion Shows Movies Music Television Programs Press Releases